Assignment #1 – Extemporaneous Health Poster
- Integrate Extemporaneous Health Poster into classroom instruction.
- Approximately 1-2 weeks before a new unit is to begin, give
each student a topic related to the unit content to be covered.
- Give students a copy of the EHP rating sheet. Explain that
a poster is to be created for the assigned topic. Each student
should use the course textbook or other course resources as references
in developing the poster.
- Posters are due the day the new unit begins. In logical order,
each student should stand and explain his or her poster – the
topic and content details.
- The teacher should fill in the blanks of any necessary content
not covered during the presentations.
- Class members should take notes during the different presentations.
- Posters should be posted in the classroom.
Assignment #2 - Speaking
- Integrate either Extemporaneous Speaking, Prepared Speaking,
or Researched Persuasive Speaking into classroom instruction.
- Determine what event (process) you will use and for what content.
- Write out the process you will use. Give students a copy of
the process and rating sheet.
- Be sure to develop a process that makes good use of class
time and requires students to THINK! For example, rather than
assign organs in the digestive system and have students talk
about the facts, have them write a speech such as “Why
it’s so bad if you lose your liver.” Or something
Assignment #3 – Extemporaneous Writing
- Integrate Extemporaneous Writing into classroom instruction.
- Give students a copy of the EW rating sheet and an essay topic.
- Have students write their first draft, and then schedule a
day in the Internet lab. Students should use the time to review
Internet resources that provide instruction on writing an essay,
and let them revise their essays using what they learned doing
their Internet research.
- Note to teacher: Students typically write LOTS of papers in
college. You can help them to create a tremendously good essay
by teaching them how to write and rewrite a good essay.
Assignment #4 – Job Seeking Skills
- Integrate Job Seeking Skills into classroom instruction.
- This event works well as the culmination of a job seeking
- Another option would be to “role play” interviews
or resumes to reinforce learning in a “Health Careers” unit
or when studying historical figures in health care.
- Be sure to let students know the process you will be using.
Give students the rating sheet or tell them where to find the
rating sheet on HOSA’s website.